Monday, October 12, 2009

Mark Combe on "Making Room" by Christine D. Pohl

Hospitality began to take on a different meaning for me while reading this book.  Before when I heard the word, I pictured an older lady serving dinner to friends from church, while her husband talked to them in a comfortable setting. Now I see so much more. This concept that is so essential to the christian faith was still somewhat fuzzy in my perception. What I read in this book not only transformed my view of true hospitality but challenged my motives for caring for people. 

One of the most beautiful concepts that I took out of this book is one that Christine Pohl came to know from the book of Luke in the Bible. The words come from Jesus where he says “When you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed because they cannot repay you”. This concept of helping someone with absolutely no motives, whether they are to gain recognition, wealth, or the need to feel worth, became more clear to me. Jesus intentionally told his disciples to help those who could not help back because he wanted them to have a change of heart and to realize what it means to truly love with no conditions. 

Another concept that challenged me came from a quote in this book. The quote came from Philip Hallie. He said that “the opposite of cruelty is not simply freedom from the cruel relationship, it is hospitality.” I believe now that hospitality not only means freeing a person or people from some sort of oppression whether it be big or small, but to take them in to your shelter and offer them whatever it is that you have to offer with no expectation of love in return. 

The practice of Hospitality in our country is so countercultural because here we are taught to acquire as much as we can no matter what the sacrifice may be. To independently strive for the benefit and care of our families and ourselves. 

Christian tradition teaches a very different way of life. I was reminded of this when Christine Pohl wrote about the story in the old testament of Lot, when he offered his own daughters up to the city guards in exchange for the safety of his guests. I could never understand Lot"s motive in this story. To me it seemed that his daughters must have been worthless to him. Now I believe that Lot had an understanding of God"s love that I do not fully understand. God"s provision for Lot must have taught him that there is great sacrifice and risk in showing true love. His act of sacrifice was a reflection of God"s love for us. I believe that this is why we must recover hospitality as a christian tradition. We must understand that Joy and sacrifice are closely related and I believe the sacrifice of hospitality will not only bring joy to the practitioner, but remind the world of God"s passionate love for his people.

No comments:

Post a Comment