Monday, October 12, 2009

Matt Combe on "Making Room" by Christine D. Pohl

I feel that reading this book has brought to attention underlined thoughts that Maybe we, as Christians, have had at various times throughout our lives. Questions of why certain peoples are cared for physically, but not emotionally, and not spiritually (Or maybe the opposite has been portrayed), or why some people open their houses to complete strangers, and some choose to be a part of larger institutions to complete the same purpose; Explaining that both are good in the right circumstances.  Christine D. Pohl gets back to the heart of why we should be serving; explaining that giving for our own gratitude or glory is missing the point entirely. 

This quote rings true in my ears with a deafening ring at times, because I know that I am not living this out: “Hospitality is not optional for Christians, nor is it limited to those who are specially gifted for it.” She goes on to explain the Greek roots for hospitality and how it means to love strangers as though they are our brothers. She explains that this kind of love shown to the “alien” or “stranger” goes clear back to the origins of Israel. God reminds the Israelites over and over about how they know what it’s like to be a stranger, because they were strangers in the land of Egypt. God tells them to love the sojourner as He loved them and showed hospitality to them. A quote from Exodus 23:9 is a verse used to explain the similarities with Israel and foreigners to Israel: “you shall not oppress a stranger; you know the heart of a stranger, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt.” This verse sounds just like God on another occasion in the New Testament. Matt 18;  the parable of the forgiving king and the unforgiving servant. I think this same principle of looking in the mirror can be used in my life as well. I need to look at the “least of these” or the “aliens” of my day as the same as me. Even if the “least of these” don’t seem to deserve love, did I deserve the love that my father in Heaven has shown me? I don’t think God’s tactics have changed in the way He keeps using His people to express His love through them to the lowly and down-trodden. In essence He is saying, “You were shown love, now do the same”. 

John Chrysostom explains that we are all made in God’s image. Even if the “least of these” don’t seem to deserve love, we all are equal and are made to lift one another up. We need to embrace that no matter who we are dealing with, because we are all made after the same image and for the same purpose. Wesley describes it in a different way. He teaches that God is working in all and through all to bring them unto Him, so do it for God if nothing else. Even if they don’t deserve the love that I could show them, did I deserve the love that my father in heaven has shown me?

I love the way Pohl explains the history of the practice of Christian Hospitality. It’s almost like reading the story of Israel again; how we go back and forward on the heart of why we are supposed to be a loving and gracious people. Some did it just to be noticed, but then some wanted to show love because of the love God has shown to them. 

If nothing else, I need to do this in remembrance of what He has done for me and remember that it’s the person that’s important, not the activity I may or may not being doing to them. To keep in mind that who I am serving is Jesus in flesh and clothes. I love the imagery that the Spanish tradition “los posadas” creates. Spanish People of the church go around looking for a place to stay on Christmas night, re-enacting Mary and Joseph in Bethlehem trying to find a place for their new child that’s about to be born. And one of the men newer in this tradition said he realized Jesus was standing on the porch when all those people were asking for a place to stay. It brought new meaning to letting them come in and stay for the night, because literally two thousand years ago Jesus’ parents were looking for a place to stay and no one took them in. It’s so important to remember who we are serving when we are serving. Meaning, I should not only be serving physical needs, but should be giving back their dignity to them. Give them back the respect that I would want to be given or, more importantly, that I would want to give Jesus. It makes me realize just how genuine God wants me to love everyone I am serving. Not because I think they’re a cool person and I will get recognition by anyone or even by them, but because Jesus wants them to be served and by serving them I am serving Jesus. The one who humbled Himself lower than any man could lower Himself just to serve me. 

This book if anything, made me realize the importance of the word hospitality. It has lost its meaning throughout the years in the westernized part of the world. Hospitality is not only making a good friend/family member feel welcome at my house, but hospitality breaks the line between good friends and complete strangers. Our good friends remain our brothers and sisters. But our complete strangers have already become our brothers and sisters. 

1 comment:

  1. Matt, thanks for talking about the difference between friends and strangers and what it means to make room for the stranger in simultaneity with those we would call brothers and sisters. In essence we serve and welcome all into the family as a family. Good stuff. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete